The ECLA works for and on behalf of our members throughout the year in a number of ways.
ALL WORK IS DONE BY VOLUNTEERS (YOUR NEIGHBOURS AND FRIENDS
Please let Board members and your Beach Reps know what initiatives you think are important!
Your annual dues of $10.00 are used to support the following initiatives.
1. Annual publication and distribution of Laker’s News:
- provides information on the ECLA, its function and current projects
- provides information on community organizations and activities in the RM of Lakeland, including local contact names
2. Involvement in various water related initiatives:
- contributes to the RM of Lakeland Environmental Advisory Committee Water Quality program which includes water quality monitoring on Emma and Christopher Lakes
- appoints members who sit on the Spruce River Diversion Operation Project Advisory Board, which oversees lake water level and pumping activity.
- Maintains a membership in “Partners for the Saskatchewan River Basin” which promotes watershed stewardship and sustainability
3. Support of Environmental Awareness issues:
- recommend members to the RM of Lakeland Environmental Advisory Committee which works with Council to protect the natural resources of our community
- promotes safe boating and nesting habitat protection through the posting of Loon Alert and No Wake signs, and distribution of the “It’s Your Wake” brochure to provide an awareness of the effects of boat wake on our lakes and shorelines
- provides support and assistance for the annual Nurture Nature In Lakeland day
4. Provide Beach Reps for each beach on Emma and Christopher Lakes to:
- to represent and act as personal contacts to beach residents and collect memberships
- bring forth concerns to the Board
5. Interaction with government:
- Board members observe RM of Lakeland council meetings
- Board members attend Provincial Association of Resort Communities (PARCS) meetings and seminars
6. Provide financial support to the local Citizens on Patrol Program (COPP)
7. Provide a multi-level swimming program at various beaches during July and August.