The February meeting began with a moment of silence for Tom Burwell. The Councillor for Division 5 passed away suddenly at his home in Saskatoon on January 14. Our thoughts and prayers are with Betty and their family during this very difficult time.
February meeting update:
- Terry Dow, Director of Sales & Marketing, Waskesiu Wilderness Region, provided an update on the 2017 activities and marketing efforts on behalf of the District and its member business. WWR has developed an ‘app’ to promote local businesses, and a short video profiling the District which will be included
as a link on the District website.
- Noted receipt of the Environmental Site Assessments for the Anglin, McPhee and Emma Lake landfill sites. The Utilities Committee will review the reports and prepare a recommendation to Council regarding the on-going operation of the sites.
- Protective Services provided information regarding a joint snowmobile patrol conducted in the area, with a positive reaction from the snowmobile operators that some law enforcement was present in the area.
- Set a by-election date for Division 5: Saturday, July 7, 2018, with an advance poll on Saturday, June 30, 2018. Only residents in Division 5 (Anglin Lake, McPhee Lake and the Organized Hamlet of Elk Ridge) will be eligible to vote.
- Appointed Doug Oftedal to the Utilities Committee to replace Tom Burwell.
- Changed the March meeting date from March 19 to March 12, to conform with the usual meeting date of the second Monday of each month. Initially, the March 12 date was felt to conflict with the SARM convention, but that is not the case due to their change of dates.
- Received information and approved a proposal related to a study of nutrient loads on Emma Lake. This study will be undertaken by SK Polytechnic Natural Resource Technology students and overseen by both SK Polytechnic and the District Environmental Advisory Committee.
- Passed bylaws no. 1-2018 (established the 2018 fire levy at $100/taxable building), no. 2-2018 (street lighting levy of $32/parcel for a portion of Birch Bay), no. 3-2018 (2018 refuse collection levy), and no. 4-2018 (repeal by-law 9-1995 dispensing with the mailing of assessment notices in year when
re-evaluation hasn’t taken place).
- Received the Lakeland Citizens on Patrol Program (COPP) annual report, and approved a contribution of $500.
- Approved a request from Kinasao Lutheran Bible Camp regarding placement of storage containers to move forward to advertisement of a public hearing.
- Authorized councillor Doug Oftedal’s attendance at the SARM convention in Regina from March 13 – 16, 2018.
- Approved communication to the Organized Hamlet of Elk Ridge board regarding continuation of the current Memorandum of Understanding (Resolution #2016-248) due to relative short time frame since the MOU was put in place, and plans related to application for resort village designation.
- Ratepayer concerns related primarily to snow removal.
As I mention in each update, while the contact information for myself and all councillors is on the website and/or available through the District office, we encourage you to contact the District office if you have a concern or require municipal services so that it can be addressed in a timely manner. Saying thank you is always a good reason for a phone call as well, and greatly appreciated by our Staff and Council.
Cheryl Bauer Hyde