- As a result of the Environmental Site Assessment Reports, the Utilities Committee recommended, and Council approved, the following landfill plans strategy:
- Emma: divert a portion of the waste over the summer to help fill in the McPhee Lake landfill, and then haul the remainder to the Prince Albert landfill thereby lowering overall costs for operating the Emma Lake landfill.
- McPhee: Operate the landfill as per the decommission plan currently in place and continue to fill the pit with waste subject to Ministry of Environment approval of the Management Plan and Corrective Action Plan. This will permit the use of waste to fill the pit and continue the agreement with the Prince Albert National Park.
- Anglin: Continue the process to finalize the decommission in 2018.
- Reviewed Public Works Projects from prior years and proposed for future years.
- Reported on the Lakeland District Protective Services Board meeting with the RCMP Prince Albert detachment. Standard Operating Procedures have been developed for the RCMP F Division in working with the Lakeland Community Safety Officers (Special Constables).
- Discussion and feedback to Administration regarding storage containers, sand and shoreline alteration permits, and regulation of business signs.
- Approved the 2017 draft audited financial statements.
- Received the Environmental Advisory Committee report regarding ATV enforcement, spruce beetle infestation, and the Emma Lake Nutrient Study (partnership with SK Polytechnic and North Saskatchewan River Basin Council).
- North Central Lakelands Planning District Commission (our partnership with the Village of Christopher Lake, Resort Village of Candle Lake, RM of Paddockwood) will provide input into development of the Ministry of Government Relations ‘Official Community Plan Implementation Initiative’.
- Authorized councillor Walter Plessl’s attendance at the SARM convention in Regina from March 13 – 16, 2018.
- Ratepayer concerns related primarily to snow removal, tree removal, and garbage pick up.
As I mention in each update, while the contact information for myself and all councillors is on the website and/or available through the District office, we encourage you to contact the District office if you have a concern or require municipal services so that it can be addressed in a timely manner. Saying thank you is always a good reason for a phone call as well, and greatly appreciated by our Staff and Council.
Cheryl Bauer Hyde