We’ll begin the update with some great news. Approximately 4 years ago, the District applied for a grant under the Small Communities Fund for an upgrade to the lagoon area located near the Emma Lake Landfill. On September 11, the announcement was made that 46 projects were approved in Saskatchewan – including the Emma Lake Waste Water project. The total cost of the project is $3.5 million, and the provincial and federal governments each provide 1/3 of the total costs. Our partners in the lagoon are the RM of Paddockwood, Great Blue Heron Provincial Park, and the Village of Christopher Lake. This is good news for all the ratepayers in the District and our partner municipalities/organizations. It is anticipated that the project will be completed by 2020.
For a complete listing of the approved grants, go to: https://www.saskatchewan.ca/government/news-and-media/2018/september/11/funding-to-improved-water-and-roads
Council received a petition from a group of ratepayers from Murray Point with a request for a bylaw regarding the operation of golf carts and all-terrain vehicles, subject to certain criteria, within the subdivision. Further study and review of provincial / municipal authorities will be considered in reviewing this request.
Staff and Council reports / discussion included:
- Updates on proposed road work in Bell’s Beach, Neis Beach and Sunnyside areas.
- After consultation with the Water Security Agency, approved a modified request from the Bell’s Beach Lagoon Community Dock Association to replace a retaining wall and to remove a portion of the sand bar at the entrance to the lagoon.
- Set winter landfill hours for the Emma Lake Landfill, effective November 2, as Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday from 10am – 4pm.
- Approved the hiring of Mitchell Hatzenbuhler as a Special Constable / Community Safety Officer.
- Reported on a meeting with a SaskTel representative regarding cell and internet services in the municipalities of Candle Lake, Paddockwood and the District. Sasktel will provide a written response regarding future plans in these areas, after which the District may request a specific meeting with SaskTel regarding community partner options.
- The Zebra Mussel monitors have been removed from all launch docks for the season. There has been no detection of mussels in the lakes within the District.
- Reviewed the Sakaw-Askiy request to the provincial government for an amendment to the Prince Albert Forest Management Agreement.
- Received an update regarding the 2018 Five Year Capital Plan.
- The Board of Revision (property tax) met in August to review 38 appeals. Agreements to adjust were made to 11 properties. Twenty-seven appeals were reviewed with partial adjustments to 10 properties. Based on reduction of assessment of $1.4 million, taxes in the amount of $3,337 were cancelled.
- Referred the review of the Solid Waste Management Strategy draft to the District Utilities Committee.
- Referred the Crime Watch correspondence to the Protective Services Board.
Committee and Board appointments for 2018/19 approved:
|Deputy Reeve||John Stauffer|
|EMO Co-ordinator||Leslie Tuchek, Public Works Manager|
|EMO Executive||Reeve, Deputy Reeve, Administrator|
|Development Appeals Board||Rick Walker, Al Christensen|
|District Board of Revision||Leroy Evenson, Gordon Williams|
|Organized Hamlet of Elk Ridge||Jim Rudolph|
|Environmental Advisory Committee||Chair: Karen Bosker
Cheryl Bauer Hyde, Keith Dahl, Karee Davidson,
Daryl Jessop, Marcia Klein, Wayne Hyde, Tom Laxdal
|Occupational Health & Safety (Employer Representatives)||Administrator, Public Works Manager,
Supervising Officer (Protective Services)
|Property Maintenance Appeal Board||Al Christensen Ray Johnson, Linda Lappa, Doug Oftedal|
|Protective Services / RCMP||Reeve, Deputy Reeve|
|Roads||Doug Oftedal, Administrator, Public Works Manager|
|Utilities (landfill/lagoon)||Doug Oftedal, Walter Plessl, John Stauffer|
|CPL Recreation Committee||Cheryl Bauer Hyde, Brandy Smart|
|District Planning Commission||Cheryl Bauer Hyde, Rob Thurmeier, Ray Keller|
|ECLA Liaison||Cheryl Bauer Hyde|
|Great Blue Heron Park Advisory Group||Cheryl Bauer Hyde|
|Lakeland Recreation Board||Cheryl Bauer Hyde, Marcia Bergman, Patty Herriot, Recreation Director (CPL Recreation)|
|North Central Waste Management||John Stauffer|
|SAKAW ASKIY Public Advisory Group||John Stauffer|
|Village Water/Sewer Committee||Walter Plessl|
|Wapiti Regional Library
(Christopher Lake Branch Board)
|Cheryl Bauer Hyde (District Liaison), Anne Barlow,
Marcia Bergman, Sharon Bird, Margaret Boettcher,
Gladys Christensen, Denis Daughton (Village Liaison),
Tim Good, Recreation Director (CPL Recreation)
|Waskesiu Wilderness Region Board||Doug Oftedal|
|Toddles Lake Water Control Gate||Walter Plessl|
|Water Security Agency Liaison /
North SK River Basin Council
Ratepayer concerns related primarily to trees, drainage, signs, garbage pickup, and skunks. Where applicable, ratepayers are contacted directly by District staff to deal with the matter raised. There were also two thank you notes received related to tree removal and the transfer station at Emma Lake Landfill.
As mentioned in every update, while the contact information for Council Members is on the website and/or available through the District office, we encourage you to contact the District office if you have a concern or require municipal services so that it can be addressed in a timely manner. Saying thank you is always a good reason for a phone call as well, and greatly appreciated by our Staff and Council.
Cheryl Bauer Hyde