From the District of Lakeland Council and Staff… Happy New Year!
The meeting agendas with supporting documents, if applicable, are posted on the website under the Council tab. For additional information and to view reports and other documents, please refer to the January 14 agenda.
Staff and Council reports / discussion included:
- The Reeve and Administrator were authorized to execute the 2019 Fire Services Agreement with the Lakeland & District Co-operative Volunteer Fire Department.
- Authorized reimbursement to the Lakeland & District Fire Department for a portion of the emergency repair of the furnace/heaters in the Sunnyside Fire Hall.
- Approved Bylaw 7-2018; the Animal Control Bylaw. The revisions include a definition for distressed animal, clarification of designated person, change to provisions for dangerous animals, and addition of feral animal situations.
- Reviewed Public Works proposed projects for 2019 and beyond.
- Authorized purchase of a new sander for the Public Works area.
- In reviewing the petition related to ATV and golf cart, authorized correspondence to the Minister responsible for SGI, Joe Hargrave and MLA Nadine Wilson regarding provincial licensing of these motorized vehicles and their use on public roads. Administration will review the potential for designation of ATV and golf cart trails to provide access to designated trails within the Great Blue Heron Provincial Park and applicable provincial highway ditches.
- Received both a monthly and 2018 annual report from the Protective Services area.
- Acknowledged receipt of the Administration Bond, and authorized purchase of excess liability insurance for the municipality.
- Reviewed 2019 EMO initiatives and set the hourly and mileage rates for Leslie Tuchek, EMO Co-ordinator.
- Based on confirmation from the Municipal Auditor, set all amounts paid to Council members and Committee appointees as 100% reimbursement and 0% remuneration. This was required as a result of the CRA ruling which removed the 1/3 exemption for income tax purposes.
- Set the 2019 staff salary rates.
- Approved the amended configuration of Phase II of the Laurel Green condo development, subject to an amended servicing agreement.
- Proposed an amendment to Zoning Bylaw No. 17-2013 to permit tattoo parlours. Public consultation will be required prior to approving the amendment.
- Reports and information from the 2018 Regional Planning Symposium, CPL Recreation Committee, Great Blue Heron Provincial Park, Division 1 newsletter, SARM (Annual meeting resolutions and elections), SK Teachers’ Federation survey, PARCS update, Municipalities Today.
- Approved authorization of a resolution for the SARM Annual Meeting related to a request for development of provincial government regulations for The Municipalities Act related to repeated code of ethics violations.
- Noted that the report regarding the ‘Public Library Consultation’ has been released including a related survey for public response for the period ending January 25, 2019.
Ratepayer concerns related primarily to snow removal. It was noted that snow being pushed from properties and driveways onto the municipal roads is creating major problems with clearing and accessibility. The offenders will be contacted and charges for snow removal will be levied when applicable.
As mentioned in every update, while the contact information for Council Members is on the website and/or available through the District office, we encourage you to contact the District office if you have a concern or require municipal services so that it can be addressed in a timely manner. Saying thank you is always a good reason for a phone call as well, and greatly appreciated by our Staff and Council.
Cheryl Bauer Hyde