The RCMP Community Engagement meeting held on August 30 was attended by approximately 100 people. Both Prince Albert and Waskesiu detachments made presentations, followed by an update on the gang situation in the area and province. This was an excellent opportunity to hear about the current policing activities in the area, and to ask questions about crime prevention methods.
As noted in previous updates, the meeting agenda and supporting documents are posted under the Council (Meeting Agendas) tab on the website – lakeland521.ca.
September Reports, Discussion and Actions:
- Public Works: removal of dead or dangerous trees will continue through to late November, roads are being graded, drainage, landfill and lagoon operations. Note that the Emma Lake transfer station is open 4 days a week (Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday from 10am – 4pm). The transfer station will be closed for statutory holidays; Remembrance, Christmas, New Year’s and Family Days, and Good Friday.
- Protective Services: August statistical report including tickets issued and inter-agency activities.
- Tenders for the engineering component of the Lagoon upgrade project will be reviewed by the Utilities Committee later in September.
- Met with Paul Ross, Prince Albert Parkland Health Region (Saskatchewan Health Authority), regarding the public health mandate related to the approval and installation of septic tanks. It was noted that both a District development permit and a Saskatchewan Health Authority sewage system permit are required prior to work on an onsite sewage system.
- Received a request to direct the Saskatchewan Assessment Management Agency (SAMA) with respect to the 2021 property revaluation and consideration for tax abatement in 2020 for 28 Anglin Lake properties. Council will meet with SAMA representatives before consideration of these two requests.
- Building / Development:
- August Building / Development permits.
- Approved two requests for setback variances for Glenn and Jacqueline Hunks, and Erin and Joseph Tysowski.
- Approved 15-2019 Building Bylaw (revised from 11-2019 to incorporate Community Planning input), and 16-2019 Close Road Allowance Bylaw.
- Correspondence was received regarding the Grey Owl Public area, and the Provincial Association of Resort Communities of Saskatchewan update.
- Lakeland ATV Club presented a proposal for a two-year pilot for licensing of ATVs in the District effective April 1, 2020. A meeting with surrounding municipalities and provincial agencies will be held together with additional information gathering will be presented to Council as part of the review process.
Ratepayer concerns were primarily related trees, roads, garbage, and wildlife (bears). As reported last month, the District will be addressing the ongoing issues with garbage collection given the healthy bear population over the next few months. Several positive comments were received regarding installation of large bear proof bins within a number of sub-divisions.
Comments or concerns should be submitted through the Council office (306.982.2010 or email firstname.lastname@example.org). They are reviewed by staff on a regular basis, and by Council at our monthly meetings. The next Council meeting is October 15 beginning at 10am.
Committee and Board appointments for 2019/20 approved:
|Deputy Reeve||John Stauffer|
|EMO Co-ordinator||Leslie Tuchek, Public Works Manager|
|EMO Executive||Reeve, Deputy Reeve, Administrator|
|Development Appeals Board||Rick Walker, Al Christensen|
|District Board of Revision||Leroy Evenson, Gordon Williams|
|Organized Hamlet of Elk Ridge||Jim Rudolph|
|Environmental Advisory Committee||Karen Bosker, Cheryl Bauer Hyde, Keith Dahl, Karee Davidson, Daryl Jessop, Marcia Klein, Wayne Hyde, Tom Laxdal|
|Occupational Health & Safety (Employer Representatives)||Administrator, Public Works Manager,
Supervising Officer (Protective Services)
|Property Maintenance Appeal Board||Al Christensen Ray Johnson, Linda Lappa, Doug Oftedal, Mary Sawchuk|
|Protective Services / RCMP||Reeve, Deputy Reeve|
|Roads||Doug Oftedal, Administrator, Public Works Manager|
|Utilities (landfill/lagoon)||Doug Oftedal, Walter Plessl, John Stauffer|
|CPL Recreation Committee||Cheryl Bauer Hyde, Brandy Smart|
|District Planning Commission||Cheryl Bauer Hyde, Rob Thurmeier, Ray Keller|
|ECLA Liaison||Cheryl Bauer Hyde|
|Great Blue Heron Park Advisory Group||Cheryl Bauer Hyde|
|Lakeland Recreation Board||Cheryl Bauer Hyde, Marcia Bergman, Patty Herriot, Recreation Director (CPL Recreation)|
|North Central Waste Management||John Stauffer|
|SAKAW ASKIY Public Advisory Group||John Stauffer|
|Village Water/Sewer Committee||Walter Plessl|
|Wapiti Regional Library
(Christopher Lake Branch Board)
|Cheryl Bauer Hyde (District Liaison), Marcia Bergman, Sharon Bird, Margaret Boettcher, Gladys Christensen, Denis Daughton (Village Liaison), Tim Good,
Elizabeth Martin, Recreation Director (CPL Recreation)
|Waskesiu Wilderness Region Board||Doug Oftedal|
|Toddles Lake Water Control Gate||Walter Plessl|
|Water Security Agency Liaison /
North SK River Basin Council