The District of Lakeland and Great Blue Heron Provincial Park are now licencing ATVs. This licencing system includes only vehicles identified under The All Terrain Vehicles Act as ATV’s including restricted use motorcycles, mini-bikes, all terrain cycles.

Please refer to the application and bylaw for full requirements for licencing your ATV.

Upon approval of your application, you will be given a plate that must by affixed to the rear of the ATV, and must be easily visible.

Is _________ a violation?

Please refer to the full bylaw under “Rules of the Road” and “General Violations”.

What do I require to apply?

The application has a checklist for the things needed to operate an ATV, but for the application to be approved:

  • You must have a valid driver’s license to operate on the highways.
  • You must maintain liability insurance in amount of no less than $200,000.

Can I operate within the Great Blue Heron Park?

Yes, but you will need to acknowledge the park’s rules on operating an ATV, and fill out an additional form. Here is the 2020 form.

What If I’m Selling my ATV?

Plates are non-transferable. You will have to return the plate to the office and if the new owner is a resident, they will have to make their application.

Can my kids ride my licenced ATV?

Someone aged 14-17 can operate an ATV if:

  • The ATV is not operated on highways except for the sole purpose of crossing the highway by the shortest route possible; and
  • They must be supervised by a person who has held a continuous/valid license for one year, and have taken a course, however are prohibited from operating on a highway.

This is by no means a comprehensive list of what is allowed or not allowed, nor is it the exact language of the bylaw. Please refer to the bylaw when determining if you are in violation or not.