June, 2021 Council Meeting Update
- Wayne Hyde met with Council to provide information regarding the Emma Lake Nutrient Study and respond to questions from Council regarding the various sources of reduced water clarity at the lakes.
- Leslie Tuchek met with Council to provide her final Emergency Management update to Council. Leslie was presented with an engraved vase in appreciation of her 11 years serving District ratepayers in her capacity as Emergency Management Coordinator.
A public hearing was held to receive submissions regarding:
- Bylaw No. 9-2021 to amend the Zoning Bylaw to permit personal care homes in the RMU – Multiple Unit Residential District as a discretionary use; and
- Bylaw No. 13-2021 to rezone Parcel A, Plan 70PA15316, known as Gateway Resort at McPhee Lake from C1-Resort Commercial District to R1-High Density Residential District.
There were three written submissions and two verbal submissions received regarding Bylaw 13-2021.
There were no written or verbal submissions received regarding Bylaw 9-2021.
Reports, Discussion and Actions:
- Public Works provided an update on trees, beaches, roads, gravel and calcium, drainage, landfill and lagoon and equipment.
- Protective Services: May statistical report, provincial and inter-agency updates.
- Building / Development: May permit report was received.
- Reports on communication towers and aquablasters were reviewed by Council and a request for a change in Civic Address was approved at Murray Point, and a 10% variance request was approved.
- Administrator’s report included the Action / Motion item report; Ratepayer Concerns; Financial Reports; and an update of other activities in the office.
Other matters of business:
- Received communications: SAMA; SARM; Ministry of Highways; Government Relations and a number of comments from ratepayers regarding the change in waste collection.
- Of particular note in the information items of correspondence is the letter and Minister’s Order from Government Relations establishing the Organized Hamlet of Elk Ridge as a separate entity of the Resort Village of Elk Ridge effective January 1, 2022 with an election for the Mayor and Council to take place in September to take office on January 1, 2022.
- The District will host an Annual Information Meeting on Saturday, July 17, 2021 at 10:00 a.m. at the Legion Hall.
- There will be a Special Council Meeting on June 28, 2021 at 10:00 a.m. for Council to review bylaws, policies, and other items.
- A consultation meeting with Neis Drive ratepayers will take place onsite on Saturday, June 26, 2021 at 10:00 a.m. Parking around Carruthers Place.
- Chris Gates of BuildTech was appointed as the Building Inspector for the District of Lakeland No. 521 for residential and commercial development. Ratepayers with construction projects in progress should contact the office for contact information for Build Tech.
Comments or concerns should be submitted through the Council office (306.982.2010 or email firstname.lastname@example.org). They are reviewed by staff on a regular basis, and monthly by Council.