DISTRICT OF LAKELAND NO. 521Serving Emma, Christopher, Anglin & McPhee Lakes, and a portion of the Boreal Forest Region.
Environmental Bylaws and Environmental Plan
- Lakeshore Erosion
- Love Your Lake: Natural Edge Program
- Vacationland News: Shoring up our Shorelines
- Boat Wakes
- Video (NSRBC)
- ATVs Illegal in Lake Water
- Water Quality Overview
- Yearly Water Quality Summaries
- You and Lake Water Quality
- Tips for Healthy Lakes and Recreation
- Loons in Lakeland
- Invasive Species Directory
Fires in Lakeland
- FireSmart Article
- FireSmart Assessments/Information
- Fireworks in Lakeland
General Information & Resources
- Printable Brochures
- Dark Sky Lighting
- Vacationland News Articles
About the Committee/Contact Us
- What we do
- Terms of Reference
- Committee Reports
- Contact Us
Environmental Advisory Committee
The purpose of the Committee is to positively alter the attitude and behaviours of all users of Lakeland such that everyone is aware, engaged to respect and protect the natural environment.
Its role is to advise, monitor, implement, report on portions of the District of Lakeland Environmental Management Plan as directed and approved by Council, and to consult with ratepayers, representatives from government agencies, non-government organizations such as PARCS and environmental bodies, as required.
Membership consists of no less than 6 members and no more than 10 members appointed annually.
- Keith Dahl
- Lois Dredger
- Wayne Hyde
- Daryl Jessop
- Tom Laxdal
- Jacquie Moore
- Fred Remillard
- Chair: Mary Sawchuk
- Jim Rudolph
Since inception, this committee has:
- With the support of the cottage associations, designed and implemented the water quality testing program monitoring the Saskatchewan Surface Water Quality Objectives for the protection of aquatic life and for recreation and aesthetics.
- Planned and hosted the “Nurture Nature in Lakeland”.
- Supported recycling efforts (multi-stream).
- Developed numerous informational pieces regarding shoreline damage caused by the wake from watercraft, impacts of grey water, living in bear country, dark sky lighting, environmentally friendly fertilizer, etc.
- Purchased and installed “no wake” signage, as well as “nesting” signage (sensitive areas).
- Oversaw development of the Environmental Management Plan in partnership with the University of Saskatchewan Department of Environment and Sustainability (SENS).
- Love Your Lake
- Mussel monitoring
- Working with Sask Polytechnic and North SK River Basin Council, initiated the Emma Lake Nutrient Study – currently ongoing.